Monday, February 20, 2012

Interlude: Farmers market morning on 2/17/2012

I go to the farmers market at least once a week. This past Saturday, I checked out the Barton Creek Farmers Market for the first time in a few months, probably. I discovered a new vendor that grows their produce hydroponically: Markley Family Farms. They had some of the most beautiful green things I'd ever seen!

Here are some of my favorite items from Saturday:

Brussels sprouts from Markley Family Farms. They look absolutely perfect. $5 for a box full o' these babies.










Prettiest spinach I've ever seen from Markley Family Farms for $3 (huuuge bag). I've already eaten these in a salad and they are absolutely divine! They're very hardy, yet super tender; perfect for salads and will last a long time in the fridge.









A red lettuce variety for $2 from Johnson's Backyard Garden. It's fantastic in salads!













I unfortunately was carrying many pounds of food around when I bought these delicious easter egg radishes and neglected to see what the farm was called as I tried to make a fairly quick exit. It was a mother and daughter, and they were definitely new...and definitely adorable! I've sliced them on my salads and they're fantastic. Super crisp! $3 for this huge bunch!







"The Mushroom Guy," as I call it, was there! I got these three HUGE mushrooms for $1 each. The three of them together weighed 3/4 of a pound.  The farm is called Kitchen Pride. They also sell portabellos, baby portabellos, oysters, and shiitake. He gave me a $2 bill back!











I also bought a bunch of carrots from Johnson's Backyard Garden, and a 4 lb chicken from Richardson Farms.

No comments:

Post a Comment