Friday, February 17, 2012

Chemical Cuisine

Did you know there's a mobile phone app to help you decode the staggering amount of unpronounceable and/or unrecognizable ingredients in processed foods? It's called Chemical Cuisine, and it's intended to be used whilst shopping so that you can make informed choices. Ever wondered what the hay phenylalanine is? Never fear! CSPI will rescue you! The app also allows you to discover that some ingredients look natural but aren't, like caramel color (sorry soda drinkers :() <---looks like a person with a melon slice in mouth


One of the best things about this app is that it's science-based. THANK YOU, CSPI. 


I would suggest using it when you need to get something processed, but otherwise, stick to the periphery of the grocery store. You can't always, though. When choosing to buy a processed item, I like to imagine how I would make said processed item at home. Would I use sodium bisulfite? Er....no. What about xanthan gum? WHAT


Then I decide to get something that has ingredients I actually use. Last night I wanted to make meatloaf, and didn't have time to let a loaf of bread go stale, so I bought breadcrumbs in a can. I couldn't believe how many ingredients constitute breadcrumbs, including all the additives, anti-caking agents, preservatives, and who knows what else. I did find something eventually, but it was tough. Anyway, this app is good for the hungry mind (double entendre, yes!)


p.s. It's not free, but it's only 99 cents.


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment